- 1 student
- 25 lessons
- 0 quizzes
- 50 hour duration
Aims:To advance the knowledge of momentum, heat and masstransfer as covered in CHEN 10031 and CHEN 10092 to obtain afuller, more comprehensive understanding of these fundamentalconcepts, principles and analytical techniques related to transportphenomena in a unified and quantitative manner.Description:The unit is broken up into 6 parts. The introductionprovides a basic review for fundamentals prerequisites to themodule including vector and tensors, general balances, anddimensional analysis. The next 3 parts cover momentum, mass, andenergy transport. In each of these sections is covered thecorresponding mechanisms for diffusive transport (Newton’s law,Fick’s law, Fourier’s law) and the generation terms. Thegeneralized transport equations (including the Navier Stokesequation) are derived from shell balances. Example problems aregiven in each section demonstrating the application of shellbalances to solve transport problems. The last two section coverturbulence and analogies in momentum, heat, and mass transfer.
- Perform scalar, vectorial and tensorial calculations in momentum balances.
- Recognize and use the laws for diffusive transport
- Apply the Navier Stokes equations and Newton’s law of viscosity to derivevelocity profiles under laminar flow.
- Derive temperature profiles from differential energy balances and Fourier’slaw.
- Derive mole fraction profiles from differential mole balances and Fick’s law
- Understand the concept of material versus substantial derivative.
- Apply dimensional analysis to simplify transport problems, interpret theirsolutions and generalize the results.
- Describe the meaning of dimensionless numbers relevant for transportphenomena
- Develop independent thinking skills and problem solving strategies
- Interpret solutions of transport problems in physical terms
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Momentum transport
Chapter 3: Heat transport
Chapter 4: Mass transport
Chapter 5: Turbulence
Chapter 6: Boundary Layer Theory
0.00 average based on 0 ratings